We offer opportunities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students enrolled in an Undergraduate or Postgraduate degree in a health or medical research related field to take up an internship in the agency.
The National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) offers opportunities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students enrolled in an Undergraduate or Masters degree in a health or medical research related field to take up an internship in the agency.
A limited number of places for internships are available in our Canberra and Melbourne offices.
Applications for the 2019-2020 Indigenous Internship Program have now closed
NHMRC’s Indigenous internship program provides a wide range of opportunities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students to gain insight into the work of NHMRC, as well as to enhance their educational experience through practical work experience. An internship with NHMRC provides:
- exposure to government processes and requirements in relation to funding health and medical research
- experience in developing guidelines, identifying and promoting resolution of ethical issues
- exposure to mechanisms and challenges of disseminating and increasing uptake of knowledge
- better understanding of the rationale for, and demands of, public administration and accountability.
The internship runs for eight to twelve weeks over mid-November and mid-January (during the summer university break) each year, however there is flexibility around these timeframes. When considering applying to the Indigenous Internship Program you must commit to the minimum internship length (eight weeks).
To find out more please see our Indigenous Internship Program Information, which details eligibility and selection, as well as the terms and conditions of the program.
Applications closed 5:00pm, Friday 25 October 2019
To be eligible to participate in NHMRC’s Indigenous Internship Program you must:
- attach evidence to confirm that you are of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent otherwise your application will not be accepted
- Aboriginality or Torres Strait Islander Descent Form
- be enrolled in an Undergraduate or post graduate degree in a health or medical research related field
- be able to work independently and as part of a team.